Tuesday, August 11, 2009

an electro-rap duo from Toronto and Montreal? how could you go wrong

So this post serves two reasons. First of all, I'm really loving this song right now. And secondly, I'm really loving Yahoo Media Player. I keep trying to find new ways to make playing the music I post on here easier for everyone, and this is the latest and possibly the coolest. It stays at the bottom of the window no matter what (that little grey play button in the left-hand corner), and all you have to do is either click the links in the posts, or you can check out the full playlist to the right. I may have to sort out a few bugs while I have it for the first little while, but hopefully it's for the better.

Getting onnnn though. Thunderheist. I've gotta give The Coast props first of all, for putting these guys on the cover of their great paper back when school was in session...so like March or April of this year. (Yes I'm late. I was late for my own graduation. I was late so many times they once fired me from a job. I'm late a lot.) But since then I've heard them played everywhere from house parties to on CBC Radio 3 Sessions.

The duo is made up of producer Graham Zilla and rapper Isis, who's been featured on tracks by the likes of MSTRKRFT. They manage to marry throbbing, bass-heavy, dancefloor-ready electro with Isis' sometimes-raunchy, usually-well-delivered, always-catchy flows, and come out with something both inventive and easily accessible. I've maintained on here before that I hate rap, but this stuff is in a class of its own, and I've always at least appreciated hip-hop.

So at worst, call this an exception:

at best, call it your new jam.

More Thunderheist:

No comments: