Friday, June 19, 2009

We swear, we're not stoned right now

...but in this case it might help/explain

Black Moth Super Rainbow. No we're not playing a drinking game where the challenge is to string together three verbs and an adjective. That's the band's name, and this is their mission statement I'm lead to believe:

"Deep in the woods of western Pennsylvania vocoders hum amongst the flowers and synths bubble under the leaf-strewn ground while flutes whistle in the wind and beats bounce to the soft drizzle of a warm acid rain. As the sun peeks out from between the clouds, the organic aural concoction of Black Moth Super Rainbow starts to glisten above the trees."

If that doesn't tell you all that they're about...well, you're probably not alone. I first remember hearing these guys as the lead track on a hypem podcast, one day in the spring when I was working on my surfboard in the garage. Their sound was instantly strange and spanning, ethereal and entertaining, lazy and lovable. Alright, I'm gushing a bit, but these guys make likeable music that seems a little bigger than it really is. You might not have to be high, but tell me this music doesn't take you somewhere.

The vocoder T-Pain's the track out, but instead of being grating here, it adds to the magical quality of the song. The synthesizers (I'm a big fan, have you noticed yet?) are all over the place on this one, with the instrumentals acting like the actual verses, and the words popping in once a while to temper the music - much the opposite of your typical pop song.

The lollygazing way the song progresses makes it the perfect summer track to just sit out on the deck to and soak in the sunshine. Which is a hefty accomplishment for a song called "Born On A Day The Sun Didn't Rise." To sum up how this song makes me feel personally when I hear it though, it's like running through a field at midnight with a full moon above. Never done it myself, but that's the beauty of music: at least now I think I know how it'd feel.

No comments: