Saturday, June 6, 2009

Grab The Rifles





















The above is posted because lead singer Brandon Cox of Deerhunter is evidently scarily thin. And admit it; you've always wanted to see a psychadelic-themed James Bond intro anyways...with a deer.

In contrast to the vividness of Deerhunter's Cryptograms album cover pictured, their music can be quite muted and repetitive, in the most charming of lo-fi ways. I often have a hard time describing my favorite music, because when I really like something, it hits me instantly; that perfect mix of drums, bass, guitar, synth, whatever. I'll usually know during the first listen if I really love something.

Deerhunter is really an exception to that for me. Their music has grown on me as slow and deliberately as some of their instrumental progressions.


...that song however had quite an instant impact for me. Of Deerhunter's music I've heard, it's their most immediate, "indie-rock" jam, a 5:51 minute distorted-guitar-and-pounding-drumming rocker. The rock-out trip the band takes you on for the final few minutes of this tune make you yearn to be front-row watching these guys performing live.


When it starts to hit mid-tempo however is seemingly Deerhunter's comfort zone. Think Grizzly Bear in a garage band, and if they weren't so meticulous about their audio production. That thin guitar and steady, beat-pacing drumming of "Nothing Ever Happened" is still there, but the vocals have been toned down and given the choir-chorus treatment that Ed Droste et al. seem to employ so well. I have to admit I'm a big fan of said choruses. It doesn't have to say anything, it just has to feel a certain way, and both groups are very effective getting that feeling across with no words. "Focus Group" is a song I initially had no affinity for, but it slowly grew on me like mentioned, and it's one of those short little gems you wish would go on for another 2 or 3 minutes more, because it wouldn't take anything away from the song itself.

If you like these cuts off the Microcastle/Weird Era Cont. double play, definitely check out Deerhunter's newest, curiously-titled five-song EP, Rainwater Cassette Exchange. Preview and buy it over here.

No comments: