Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phantom...Pt. 1



Walking back home from a night out on Friday, I passed a small bar, and thought I heard the faintest sliver of "Phantom Pt. 1" by Justice. For literally the next twenty minutes I was walking back, I whistled the brain-sticking notes of that electro tune, and didn't tire of it once.

Of course, I stopped for a bit when I waited to see if the guy with alcohol-poisoning across the street was being tended to well enough, but once I was assured of the latter, I went right back to whistling away. I've always been a big fan of Justice - I love their music, I like their remixes, I've watched "A Cross The Universe" - a hilarious and sometimes scary look at their North American tour - a number of times...but given all that, I still never actually had their full album. I've expressed on here before that I'm not really an album guy, but the more time wears on, the more I see the sense in it. Songs are made and arranged in album form - so why not listen to them as such?

So the day after my walk, I got Cross in its entirety. There were really two impetuses (impetuii?...nope) for that; one being "Phantom" embedding itself in my head for the majority of the walk home, and more notably, waiting for the Thunderheist show the other week, the club hosting the event played Cross front to back on their amazing sound system. Between the two, I was more than sold.

Obviously - as always - I'm like two years late with this, but it's just a small slice of what makes Justice so good in my books. From my perspective, mainly from having heard "Phantom Pt. 2" over and over again, "Pt. 1" seems like the slower, choppier and almost backwards-sounding companion to the sequel. Strangely, that's all meant in a complimentary fashion, and if you listen to them back-to-back (album-wise, that's how they're arranged as well), you'll see what I mean.

No comments: