Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pnau - Baby (Breakbot Remix)

I imagine that picture sucks if you're colour-blind

Little makes me happier musically than listening to this song. It's true. There's an undeniable joy in the Breakbot remix of "Baby," and I bet you anything it comes from that children's choir singing the tune. The production may be another factor, as well as the piano, which I'm always a sucker for...but I'm pretty sure it boils down to those kids. The record shows that using children/children's choirs works to spectacular effect in making a song popular (see: Justice - "D.A.N.C.E."), so it's a wonder more artists don't do it, especially in genres like electro, where very little singing is done by the artists themselves.




As an interesting aside: part of the duo that's PNAU is Nick Littlemore, currently of Empire Of The Sun - so the man knows his catchy electro/dream-pop. And briefly? This is the remix of "Baby." Guess what? The original sucks. I mean sucks. I'm pretty sure I stopped it before it even finished playing out it was that bad, and it's one of the few songs I know of that's been so totally and pleasingly transformed from the original that it's completely blown it out of the water. Here it is if you wanna compare and contrast, but I personally hated the thing.

1 comment:

andy jiang said...

Agree that the original is shit! I love breakbot's mix!