Thursday, May 28, 2009

An introduction to Emil & Friends

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of Emeril Lagasse when I see this band/group/ensemble/outfit's (who really knows? they're a mysterious bunch) name. It's just this mental image of a chef on a guitar and a mixboard in the kitchen - apron, white hat and all.

This is crazy creative music as far as I'm concerned. Emil & Friends just seem to come out of left field on these songs, and it's refreshing, exciting, and out of the ordinary in a good way.

"Fire Flower" is the song that first introduced me to the group (thanks to the blousesydney blog for that one), and it was the heartfelt guitar plucking that caught my attention from the start. Of course the song progressed, and admittedly I felt the sombre mood didn't help my opinion of them much. However, my interest had been piqued.


This was followed many months later by a re-working (more cover than remix) of the effervescent "Sleepyhead" by Passion Pit. Though the ever-so-catchy "ahhh-ahh-ahh-ahhhhhh-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-aaaaah" remained intact, the acoustic take and the sleepy lyrics (Passion Pit's mistake of the year? a song titled "Sleepyhead" from a singer ready to bust the roof off with a voice that would wake a rooster) really helped accentuate an already-great tune for me. It was so laid back, so cool; so sure of itself, yet with the fragile voice of something ready to break down.


The quintessential piece of the puzzle is Emil & Friends' brilliant remix of Little Boots' "New In Town." I'd already heard and been impressed by the Fred Falke and Drop The Lime remixes, but this one brought something completely new to the table. Heavily Vocoder-ed lyrics, an electro beat ready for the dancefloor, and a jumpy song that had about 4 or 5 distinct sections, that somehow all melded together for one energetic blast of music. Throw in the slashing guitar solo, and it's a sonic buffet of cliches and music styles, all fitting together in a way they really shouldn't. And it works.

No comments: