Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ain't Neva Gotz Originality

I'm only giving the hypem.com link (through PrettyMuchAmazing.com...who in a shameless plug, I designed the banner for) to this song, because I don't even consider it worth a download.

U Ain't Neva Gotzz Ask is Lil Wayne, Kanye, T.I. and Jay-z trying to rekindle that "Swagga Like Us" magic. But rarely is a song by a group of artists as good the second time around if they had a big hit to precipitate the follow-up. And I think that's exactly the sum of this song. The only part I like (other than a few clever rhymes here and there) is the re-take on the George Michaels song for the chorus...something borrowed usually sounds good in rap.

That being said - it's definitely not cool to borrow your own damn lines for a rap. T.I. couldn't think of a line to start his verse off with apart from the one he already had on "I'm A King"? Jay-Z couldn't sum up a killer ending to the song, instead choosing to borrow his own lines from "Mr. President"?

Take a listen if you're morbidly curious:

EDIT: Guess what? Turns out the entire thing is just a mash-up made up totally of old verses. In that light...it's a decent song, and makes the sample use for the chorus all that much better - it's words are the only original part of the song now.

No comments: