Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Polaris Music Prize 2011 Predictions

a simple logo for a not-so-simple prize

In two weeks, the short-list for Canada's most prestigious music prize will be announced, paring down the current grouping of 40 "long-listers" to a more-manageable, more-acclaimed list of 10 albums, representing the best of Canadian music over the last 12 months. You can check out the many details of the prize, how it's awarded, and who gets to choose it right here...but my own, educated-guess/partially-informed take on who ends up making that short-list is below, in no particular order:

- Neil Young
- Diamond Rings
- Land Of Talk
- Arcade Fire
- Malajube
- Timber Timbre
- Imaginary Cities
- Destroyer
- Braids
- Austra

Now, my list is by no means scientific or particularly well-informed, especially compared to last year, when I'd had much stronger connections to the Top 40 and Top 10. So it's kind of like when you pick your brackets for NCAA's March Madness: who's looked good, who seems good, who you've heard is good, and what surprise upset might just happen. However, I can say with certainty that I've heard tracks from everyone's album on the list other than Neil Young, including the entirety of Arcade Fire, Land Of Talk, Diamond Rings, and Malajube's albums. 

Although the prize is touted as simply recognizing the best of Canadian albums on musical merit alone (evidenced by awarding Fucked Up the 2009 prize over the likes of Joel Plaskett and Metric...and giving the inaugural prize to an album named He Poos Clouds), I went for balance on my list, because the jury inevitably gets roasted if they lean too heavily one particular style of music, or region of Canada. 

Neil Young's simply a legend. Diamond Rings burst onto the scene this year, drag make-up and all. Land Of Talk put out a really solid effort that worked well for me as a whole album. Arcade Fire's already won a Grammy. Malajube provides the French content. Timber Timbre is a huge favorite with the types who sit on the jury, even though his brand of downer-jazz doesn't resonate so well with me. Destroyer is a literary-type staple of intelligent indie. Imaginary Cities are great from what I hear. Braids are extremely interesting and innovative. Austra is super-compelling (yes, I just said that) and impresses all the more for someone with a background in opera.

Now, again, I stress the amateurishness of these selections -- just me making some picks to see how well I do against the actual list once it comes out in 14 days. Can't wait.

No comments: