Friday, July 10, 2009

eff meeee


Sooo, I know it's been (again) a while. But this time, I was just pissed because my box.net account got closed. Evidently, you can only post so much free music on there. Oops.

Anyways, in the meantime I'm going back to zShare.

I'm sitting out on my deck as I type, and it's been sunny as fuck for the last two days, after a solid two weeks of fog...so because I just swore, today's pick is by a band I largely ignored when they became popular. They are Holy F**k (yes, I have the *'s there because the closest I come to saying that particular curse is "holy guacamole," and then everytime I say that, I try to remember how to spell "guacamole"...but that's neither here nor there) and I often confused them with Holy Ghost, and wrote them off as another electronic band that didn't really matter much in the context of my own musical listening. Sure, they seemed to be pretty big on hypem.com and around the general blogosphere, but they never really struck a chord with me.

So one day this summer, I'm sitting at work listening to CBC Radio3 podcasts like I usually do (we're only allowed on CBC.ca at work), and Holy F**k gets played, and something really catches on with me about their song "Frenchy's," which in the podcast came along with an entire history and definition of the Frenchy's franchise in Atlantic Canada. I ended up having the beat of the song stuck in my head the entire rest of the afternoon, and I was amazed that some of Holy F**k's instrumentation comes straight from...you (didn't) guessed it...the same Casio keyboards you and I played with as children.

Of course, there's the real percussion and synth and all that good stuff, but the way they work in that childhood Casio is quite a feat in my mind. I've heard they put on quite a live show too, and I'm planning to check them out when Radio3 streams a live concert featuring them this Saturday evening (5:30pm-8:00pm EST I think?). Plus...they're from Nova Scotia. That put them over the top for me. That, and the fact that the (Conservative) government tried to pull arts funding a time ago Canada-wide, and used Holy F**k's motherlovin' band name as an excuse.

No comments: